Experience Needed12 Years
About the position
Our client is licensed by the Kenya Tea Directorate and a member of the East African Tea Trade Association (EATTA) based in Mombasa to sell tea through the weekly Mombasa Tea Auction and Private Treaty in accordance with the East Africa Tea Trade Association rules and regulations.
To support the primary mandate, our client is seeking to recruit an enthusiastic, results-driven and highly motivated individual with commercial acumen and industry knowledge to fill the exciting and challenging position of Finance Manager.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Finance Manager will be responsible for providing technical and professional leadership in the planning, development and implementation of the Company’s financial policies and systems, including strategic financial plan and budget aimed at ensuring prudent management and control of financial resources. In addition, the position is responsible for interpreting the Company’s prevailing financial position and advising the Managing Director and Board of Directors on the measures to be taken to improve the Company’s financial performance.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and coordinate the timely preparation of annual work plans and budget estimates and outline key activities to be undertaken
- Coordinate banking services, reconciliation and custody of Company funds and prepare reports which summarise and forecast the Company’s financial position
- Review procurement process to ensure that the Company gets value for money through competitive bidding process and only disbursing payment after verifying the actual delivery of high quality goods and services
- Establish stringent expenditure control procedures to ensure proper authorization for payments is strictly followed, any expenditure incurred are supported by payment vouchers and other valid accounting documents
- Ensure that budgetary allocations are not exceeded without justifiable cause
- Monitor and track the utilisation of capital and operational expenditure against approved plans and ensure that any variances are justified in accordance with approved policies and procedures
- Interpret financial reports, statements, accounting records and advice the Managing Director on the significance of the same and presenting, identifying and evaluating options for action.
- Coordinate the preparation of tax returns to ensure compliance with periodic tax payments, information reporting and other statutory requirements
- Provide advice to the Managing Director and the Board of Directors the effective strategies for minimizing tax liability
- Advise the Managing Director on approvals to be made to producers, buyers and sundry creditors.
- Review the Monthly Financial Statements prepared by the Accountant for completeness and accuracy.
- Ensure all of the company’s financial assets are managed and accounted for and are under effective custody.
- Ensure all finance functions including those necessary for auditing, budgeting, and financial analysis are in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, financial policies and procedures, and all other applicable rules and guidelines.
- Develop and implement sound finance policies within the company and review to ensure they are up to date and in line with set regulations.
- Check the Monthly USD trade debtors and trade creditors balance prepared by the Accountant.
- Ensure reports are made to EATTA regarding buyers’ payments not received by prompt date.
Generic Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical leadership to the finance team to develop, implement and evaluate strategic management plans and budgets;
- Initiate and participate in organisational performance reviews and business process improvement processes aimed at improving organisational effectiveness
- Participate in the recruitment and selection of staff in order to ensure that candidates selected have the required job competencies
- Assess finance staff performance and determine training needs
- Represent Tea Brokers East Africa at local, regional and international meetings, conferences and workshops and other forums are required.
- Prepare board papers, periodic progress reports and annual reports showing organizational and departmental achievements against planned targets, and provide justification for performance variances and areas of improvement
Knowledge and Skills Required
- A Master’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Strategic Management or a related field from a recognised institution
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Strategic Management or a related field from a recognised institution;
- Must have completed relevant qualifications in Finance such as CPA (K) or ACCA or its equivalent from a recognised institution.
- A minimum of Twelve (12) years of related work experience, at least three (3) of which should have been in a senior finance role;
Must be a member in good standing of ICPAK, ACCA or a related professional body;
- Must be familiar with the East African Tea Trade Association (EATTA) rules and regulations;
- Demonstrate high level of integrity and ethical practice; and
- Must demonstrate ability to handle multiple and conflicting priorities, and work under strict deadlines.
- Must demonstrate the ability to work well under pressure without supervision
CVs to be sent to email@example.com
All applications must be received by 10th December 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Our client is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and is committed to diversity and gender equality.